Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The Panama Railroad ordered all of its steam engines from the Portland Company. This photograph was taken in front of the machine shop in Portland. The 'North America' was shop #151, 5"0 gauge, and sent out on February 15, 1868.
About This Item
- Title: The 'North America' of the Panama Railroad, 1868
- Creation Date: 1868
- Subject Date: 1868
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Albumen print
- Dimensions: 23 cm x 37 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 242, Box 33-72
- Collection: Portland Company records
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Panama Railroad--Photographs
- Railroad locomotives--Maine--Photographs
- Railroad locomotives--Panama--Photographs
- Railrod locomotive industry--Maine--Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.