Contributed by Strong Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Meeting in the upper level of the J. D. Vaughan building in the village, Post No. 134 of the Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Maine had an active membership representing the surrounding area. G.A.R. was a fraternal organization of the veterans of the Civil War who fought as Union soldiers.
The lower level of the building housed, on the left, the shop of C. B. Richardson, a jeweler. On the right was E. H. Vaughan, a clothing and shoe dealer.
About This Item
- Title: G.A.R. Post No. 134, Strong, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Town: Strong
- County: Franklin
- State: ME
- Media: Cabinet photograph
- Local Code: ED.01.246.03
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Strong Historical Society
PO Box 133, Strong, ME 04983
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Grand Army of the Republic. Post No. 134 (Strong, Me.)
- Clothing stores--Maine--Strong
- Stores & shops--Maine--Strong
- Fraternal organizations--Maine
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Veterans
- G. A. R.
- meeting room
- mens furnishings
- sporting goods
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.