Contributed by Maine Historical Society
William Lithgow wrote this letter from Fort Richmond to Governor Spencer Phips, on July 9, 1751. It concerns the relations between the English colonists and Native Americans in Maine.
A "belt of wampum" and treaties between the French and English with the Indians are mentioned.
About This Item
- Title: William Lithgow to Spencer Phips on treaties with Wabanaki Tribes, 1751
- Creator: William Lithgow
- Creation Date: 1751-07-09
- Subject Date: 1751-07-09
- Location: Richmond, Sagadahoc County, ME
- Media: Paper
- Dimensions: 24 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-5820
- Collection: Frank T. Siebert collection of American Indian and American frontier materials
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- French and Indian Wars--Letters
- Indians of North America--Maine--Norridgewocks
- Indians of North America--Maine--Penobscots
- Indians of North America--Treaties
- Indians of North America--Wars--1775-1783
- Lithgow, William--Letters
- Norridgewock Tribe
- Penobscot Tribe
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.