Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
At the turn of the century the Portland Company manufactured sulphite digesters for paper companies. These digesters processed the wood pulp in such a way as to make it soft enough to create paper. The Portland Company is still a thriving industry on Portland's waterfront. Early in its history it crafted many things from steel including engines, lighthouse parts, and marine equipment.
About This Item
- Title: Sulphite digester for Glen Falls Paper Manufacturing Co., ca. 1920
- Creation Date: circa 1920
- Subject Date: circa 1920
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 18 cm x 23 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 242, Box 40/9
- Collection: Portland Company records
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Paper industry--NY--Glen Falls
- Portland Co. (Me.)
- Glen Falls Paper Manufacturing Co. (NY)
- Steel industry--Maine--Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.