Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Connie Bruley and Sharon Morris, two performers on Portland's Dave Astor Show, pose with Astor in the early 1960s. Dave Astor's television program featured local teenagers dancing and singing along to popular hits and is often described as a local version of Dick Clark's American Bandstand.
Originally named For Teenagers Only, the program was broadcast from 1956 to 1971 and filmed in its early years in the Congress Square Hotel. Astor was known for the high standards he set for performers, some of whom went on to professional careers.
About This Item
- Title: 'For Teenagers Only,' Portland, ca. 1960
- Creation Date: circa 1960
- Subject Date: circa 1960
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: Coll. 2499
- Collection: Dave Astor collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Beauty contestants--Maine--Portland
- Congress Square Hotel (Portland, Me.)
- Rock & roll dancing--Maine
- Television dance parties
- Television programs--Maine--Portland
- WCSH-TV (Television station : Portland, Me.)
- WGME (Television station : Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.