Contributed by Maine Historical Society
William B. Adams, who had enlisted in the 5th Maine Regiment on June 24, 1861, was near Petersburg Virginia in July 1864 when the 5th Maine was dissolved.
He wrote to his sister Dorothy in Lewiston that the soldiers who were mustered out started for Maine on June 23 and those remaining, including Adams, had what he considered the dubious privilege of escorting them to the landing. He said it was a 20-mile march through dust and those remaining were gone from their encampment three days.
He was attached to the 6th Maine.
He noted that he should not complain, since he re-enlisted after his initial two and a half years in the army.
About This Item
- Title: W.B. Adams on end of 5th Maine, Virginia, 1864
- Creator: Adams, William B.
- Creation Date: 1864-07-02
- Subject Date: 1864
- Town: Petersburg
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 371, Box 1/4
- Collection: William Bryant Adams Civil War letters and diaries
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Adams, Dorothy K.--Correspondence
- Adams, William Bryant, 1842-1922--Correspondence
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Social aspects
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- United States. Army--Military life
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864). Company K
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.