Contributed by Maine Historical Society
By 1949, students at Bates, Colby, and the University of Maine at Orono had established chapters of Hillel, a national organization that supports Jewish life on college campuses.
Students from every Maine campus with an active Hillel organization gathered annually for a convention weekend that included Shabbat services, a semi-formal dance, and a bagel and lox breakfast.
The silver jubilee observed the founding of the B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation.
About This Item
- Title: Hillel Silver Jubilee, 1949
- Creator: B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation
- Creation Date: 1949
- Subject Date: 1949
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 378 B629
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Jews--United States--Maine
- B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation (University of Maine Orono)
- B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation (Bates College (Lewiston, Me.)
- B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation (Colby College (Waterville, Me.)
- Jewish college students--Maine
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.