Contributed by Maine Historical Society
By 1949, students at Bates, Colby, and the University of Maine at Orono had established chapters of Hillel, a national organization that supports Jewish life on college campuses.
Students from every Maine campus with an active Hillel organization gathered annually for a convention weekend that included Shabbat services, a semi-formal dance, and a bagel and lox breakfast.
The silver jubilee observed the founding of the B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation.
About This Item
- Title: Hillel Silver Jubilee, 1949
- Creator: B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation
- Creation Date: 1949
- Subject Date: 1949
- Location: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 378 B629
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Jews--United States--Maine
- B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation (University of Maine Orono)
- B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation (Bates College (Lewiston, Me.)
- B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation (Colby College (Waterville, Me.)
- Jewish college students--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.