Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Charlie Rosen and an unidentified girl do the "twist" on the Dave Astor Show in Portland. The dance swept the nation in the summer of 1960.
Originally known as For Teenagers Only, Dave Astor's weekly television program featured students dancing and singing along to contemporary hits. The show is often compared to the national show American Bandstand.
About This Item
- Title: Doing the twist, Portland, ca. 1962
- Creation Date: circa 1962
- Subject Date: circa 1962
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: Coll. 2499, Box 3/6 DA16
- Collection: Dave Astor collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Dave Astor Show
- Rock & roll dancing
- Television dance parties
- Television programs--Maine--Portland
- Twist (Dance)
- WCSH-TV (Television station : Portland, Me.)
- WGME (Television station : Portland, ME)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.