Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Lt. Abbott Coan of Orono, who enlisted as a 1st lieutenant in Co. F of the 12th Maine Infantry Regiment on Nov. 15, 1861, wrote to Col. George F. Shepley, the regiment's commander, on December 20, reporting on the difficulty of recruiting men in the Orono area.
He wrote that there was no provision to pay for hiring a horse or riding a stage -- and that the "only Manner that recruits can be raised speedily is by driveing about the Country."
About This Item
- Title: Letter on recruitment issues, Orono, 1861
- Creator: Coan, Abbott
- Creation Date: 1861-12-20
- Subject Date: 1861-12-20
- Town: Orono
- County: Penobscot
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 12.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 1/1
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Expense accounts
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service, Voluntary
- Military service--1860-1870
- Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.