Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Young Women's Christian Association set up tents along Congress Street, between Market and Pearl Streets, during the Maine Centennial observance in July 1920.
"In Service For The Girls Of The World," the motto of the YWCA, is written on the banner strung across the street. The YWCA gave centennial guests access to a cafeteria, restrooms, and a hostess house.
About This Item
- Title: YWCA tent, Maine Centennial, Portland, 1920
- Creation Date: 1920
- Subject Date: 1920
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.2974
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Centennial celebrations--Maine--Portland
- Maine Centennial, June 26-July 5, 1920
- Women--Societies and clubs
- Young Women's Christian Association of Portland (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.