Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Eight members of the British tug of war team from the ship Calcutta pose with the winner's trophy and a large rope. They defeated the Fort Williams Army team in the competition held in Portland.
Naval vessels from the United States, England, Portugal and Japan came to Portland during its centennial celebration held from June 26 to July 5, 1920.
Crews of the ships and other military personnel participated in sports competitions.
About This Item
- Title: British Royal Marines tug of war team, Portland, 1920
- Creation Date: 1920
- Subject Date: 1920
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.2909
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Calcutta (Ship)
- Centennial celebrations--Maine--Portland
- Great Britain. Royal Navy
- Maine Centennial, June 26-July 5, 1920
- Portland (Me.)--Centennial celebrations, etc.
- Tug of war
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.