Contributed by Maine Historical Society
A badge worn by the Chief Marshal for the Grand Army of the Republic unit in the Portland Memorial Day parade in 1898.
The GAR was a fraternal organization composed of Union veterans of the Civil War. It began in 1866.
About This Item
- Title: GAR parade badge, Portland, 1898
- Creation Date: 1898
- Subject Date: 1898
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Silk, metal, paint
- Local Code: A78-36-3
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Veterans
- Parades & processions--Maine--Portland
- Grand Army of the Republic.
- Fraternal organizations--Maine
- Memorial Day
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.