Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Capt. Charles C.G. Thornton of Co. C of the 12th Maine Regiment wrote to Gen. George F. Shepley, military governor of Louisiana and former commander of the 12th Maine, about his application to be detailed to Shepley's staff.
He wrote, "The desire to occupy the splendid position you so kindly offered me is so strong that if you should find the detail made or advise me to return under the circumstances, I shall not be able to refuse ..."
Thornton was from of Scarborough.
About This Item
- Title: Capt. Thornton to Gen. Shepley on assignment, Baton Rouge, 1863
- Creator: Thornton, Charles C.G.
- Creation Date: 1863-03-02
- Subject Date: 1863
- Town: Baton Rouge
- State: LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20.1 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 3/1
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Career plateaus
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military promotions
- Military service, Voluntary
- Military service--1860-1870
- Recruiting and enlistment
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.