Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This is a 1738 map of the area around Brunswick, commissioned by the Pejepscot Company. The area is bounded on the northeast by the Androscoggin River and Merrymeeting Bay, and on the northwest by the former North Yarmouth town line.
This map is marked #7. Scale [1:31,680] 160 rods = 1 inch.
The Pejepscot Company was formed in 1714 when a group of proprietors acquired the land holdings of earlier owners and settlers in the Brunswick-Topsham-Harpswell-Lewiston area of Maine. The land was prized for timber, fur and fish resources.
About This Item
- Title: "Scituate," Brunswick, 1738
- Creator: Noyes, Belcher
- Creation Date: 1738
- Subject Date: 1738
- Town: Brunswick, Harpswell, Topsham
- County: Cumberland, Sagadahoc
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 47 cm x 58 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 61, Map 7
- Collection: Proprietors of the Township of Brunswick Pejepscot Proprietors papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Androscoggin River (N.H. and Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Brunswick (Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Land companies--Maine--Maps
- Land grants--Maine--Maps
- Land settlement--Maine--Maps
- Maine--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Manuscript maps
- Pejepscot Company--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Real property--Maine--Maps
- Androscoggin River
- Casco Bay
- Early contact & settlement
- Fort George
- Maps, Early.
- Maps, Manuscript.
- Mere Point
- Merriconeag Neck
- Merrymeeting Bay
- Nature, geography & animals
- Pejebscot Proprietors
- Pejepscot Proprietors
- Personal writing to 1800.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.