Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A group of eight men from Boston formed the Pejepscot Proprietors land company in 1714 when they acquired Richard Wharton's land parcels including the towns now known as Brunswick, Topsham, Harpswell, and Lewiston. The Proprietors promoted settlement and sold the land at a profit for the benefit of shareholders.
This 1738 map of the area around Brunswick was commissioned by the Pejepscot Proprietors. The area is bounded on the northeast by the Androscoggin River and Merrymeeting Bay, and on the northwest by Bunganuc Creek, the former North Yarmouth town line.
This map is marked #7. Scale [1:31,680] 160 rods = 1 inch.
About This Item
- Title: "Scituate," Brunswick, 1738
- Creator: Belcher Noyes
- Creation Date: 1738
- Subject Date: 1738
- Brunswick, Cumberland County, ME
- Harpswell, Cumberland County, ME
- Topsham, Sagadahoc County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 47 cm x 58 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 61, Map 7
- Collection: Proprietors of the Township of Brunswick Pejepscot Proprietors papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Androscoggin River (N.H. and Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Brunswick (Me.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Land companies--Maine--Maps
- Land grants--Maine--Maps
- Land settlement--Maine--Maps
- Maine--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Manuscript maps
- Pejepscot Company--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Real property--Maine--Maps
- Androscoggin River
- Casco Bay
- Early contact & settlement
- Fort George
- Maps, Early.
- Maps, Manuscript.
- Mere Point
- Merriconeag Neck
- Merrymeeting Bay
- Nature, geography & animals
- Pejebscot Proprietors
- Pejepscot Proprietors
- Personal writing to 1800.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.