Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Abner R. Small of Waterville was 25 when he enlisted in Co. G of the Maine 3rd Infantry Regiment on June 4, 1861. He was promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant on May 24, 1862, the same day he was mustered out of the 3rd Maine and commissioned an officer in Company S of the newly formed Maine 16th Infantry Regiment.
Small became a Full Major on Oct. 13, 1864. He served a adjutant for the regiment. He served on Col. Joshua Chamberlain's staff when Chamberlain commanded the 1st Brigade of the 1st Division.
He was mustered out on June 5, 1865 at Arlington Heights, Virginia.
About This Item
- Title: Major Abner R. Small of the 16th Maine Infantry
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 135, Box 1/20
- Collection: Abner Ralph Small papers
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- 16th Maine infantry (1861-1865)--Cartes de visite.
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Infantry regiments, 16th (1861-1865)--Cartes de visite.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maine--Infantry regiments, 16th (1861-1865)--Portraits.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners.
- United States. Army. Maine--Infantry regiments, 16th (1861-1865)--Portraits.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.