Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Col. Charles W. Tilden (1832-1914), a native of Castine, enlisted in May 1861 as first lieutenant in Co. B of the 2nd Maine Volunteers. He was soon promoted to captain. He was discharged in June 1862, promoted to lieutenant colonel.
He then was commissioned into the 16th Maine Infantry and promoted to colonel in July 1863.
He led the 16th Maine in many battles, including Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and Appomattox. He was mustered out on June 5, 1865 in Arlington Heights, Virginia.
After the war, he returned to Castine and became a merchant, later moving to Hallowell where he was secretary and treasurer of Hallowell Granite Co.
About This Item
- Title: Col. Charles W. Tilden, 16th Maine Infantry, ca. 1863
- Creator: Black, J. W.
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Town: Castine
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 135, Box 1/20
- Collection: Abner Ralph Small papers
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine infantry regiment, 16th (1861-1865)--Portraits.
- Card photographs.
- Cartes de visite.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maine--Infantry Regiment, 16th (1861-1865)--Portraits.
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Infantry Regiments, 16th (1861-1865)--Portraits.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.