Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Franklin C. Kimball of Portland was 17 when he enlisted in Co. F. of the 5th Maine Regiment on June 24, 1861.
Kimball (1845-1912), a musician in the regiment, carried this canteen through the Civil War. He was mustered out on July 27, 1864.
About This Item
- Title: Kimball Civil War canteen, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Metal
- Local Code: PA109
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military life.
- United States. Army--Equipment.
- United States. Army--Maine infantry regiment, 5th (1861-1864).
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.