Contributed by Maine Historical Society
This is a view of Munjoy Hill in the 1840s. The artist, Charles Quincy Goodhue, drew it from memory in 1895. It appeared within the publication "Mr. Goodhue Remembers Portland" published by the Maine Historic Preservation Commission in 1981.
While many of the images within the publication were from the collections of Maine Historical Society, this particular piece was in private hands at the time of the book's publication. The image presented here is a reproduction from the book, presented with permission from the publisher.
About This Item
- Title: Munjoy Hill in the Forties, Portland, 1895
- Creator: Goodhue, Charles Quincy
- Creation Date: 1895
- Subject Date: circa 1840
- Local Name: Munjoy Hill
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 28 cm x 35 cm
- Local Code: 1922.214.171.124
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Goodhue, Charles Quincy, 1835-1910
- Munjoy Hill (Portland, Me.)
- Portland (Me.)--Fires, 1866
- Portland (Me.)--History--Views
- Portland Observatory (Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.