Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
By the turn of the 20th century, Old Orchard Beach was well established as a popular destination. Young people model the typical bathing fashions of the early 1920's, including two-piece swim dress, black stockings, and swim boots. The men wear a shorter version of the two-piece suit, but without the swim shoes.
In the early 1920's, beaches would monitor a women's skirt length with a tape measure to ensure modesty. As the decade progressed, fashion prevailed as swimsuits became shorter and tighter for both men and women.
About This Item
- Title: Men and women in bathing suits, Old Orchard Beach, ca. 1920
- Creation Date: circa 1920
- Subject Date: circa 1920
- Location: Old Orchard Beach, York County, ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.1719
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Bathing suits--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Beaches--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Vacations--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Young adults--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.