Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Charles Octavius Cole, a popular Portland artist, painted Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in 1843, the year the poet married Fanny Appleton.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, born in Portland in 1807, was a professor at Bowdoin College before moving to the faculty of Harvard. His poetry is known worldwide and, by 1855, his poems were translated into 12 languages.
He was 36 at the time of this portrait.
About This Item
- Title: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, ca. 1843
- Creator: Cole, Charles Octavius
- Creation Date: circa 1843
- Subject Date: circa 1843
- Media: oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 53 cm x 43 cm
- Local Code: A85-280
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Poets, American--Maine--Portraits
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth (1807-1882)--Portraits
- Authors, American--Maine--Portraits
- Cole, Charles Octavius, 1817-1858--Associated objects
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.