Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This map is entitled, "A plan of Kennebek & Sagadahok rivers, with the adjacent coasts taken from actual surveys and dedicated to his Excel. William Shirley Esqr."
The map has illustrations of Fort Frankfort, Fort Western, Fort Halifax and Fort Frederick, with accompanying explanatory material.
Created around 1754 by Johnston, it was used in litigation between the early land grant proprietorships of Maine: The Plymouth Company and the Proprietors of the Township of Brunswick.
About This Item
- Title: Kennebec and Sagadahok rivers plan, 1755
- Creator: Thomas Johnston
- Creation Date: circa 1755
- Subject Date: circa 1755
- Location: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 40 cm x 31 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 60, Map 56-2-2, and Map F 67
- Collection: Plymouth Company (1749-1816) records
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fort Frankfort (Me.)
- Fort Frederick (Me.)
- Fort Halifax (Winslow, Me.)
- Fort Western (Augusta, Me.)
- Fortification -- Maine.
- Forts & fortifications--Maine
- Indians of North America -- Land tenure
- Kennebec Patent -- Maps, Manuscript -- Early works to 1800
- Kennebec River (Me.)--Maps
- Maine -- Maps, Manuscript.
- Maine--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775--Maps
- Plymouth Company (1749-1816) -- Maps, Manuscript -- Early works to 1800
- Plymouth Company Patent -- 1749-1816 -- Maps, Manuscript -- Early works to 1800
- Rivers -- Maine.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.