Contributed by Pierce Family Collection through Maine Historical Society
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
Josiah Pierce (1827-1913) wrote from London to his aunt Anne Longfellow Pierce of Portland to report on a visit to Francis Bennoch, treasurer of the Longfellow Memorial Committee on her behalf.
She enlisted her nephew's help in securing for the Maine Historical Society letters written by committee members in support of a bust of her brother Henry Wadsworth Longfellow to be placed in Poet's Corner at Westminister Abbey.
Pierce told his aunt that a formal application and letters of support from the Historical Society and the Longfellow family were in order. He also said that Bennoch had known Longfellow and had kindly feelings toward Maine.
The bust was dedicated there in 1884.
About This Item
- Title: Josiah Pierce to Anne L. Pierce on Longfellow bust letters, 1883
- Creator: Pierce, Josiah
- Creation Date: 1883-07-10
- Subject Date: 1883
- Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- London, England
- Media: Ink on paper
- Collection: Pierce family collection
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Bennoch, Francis, 1812-1890
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882--Commemoration
- Maine Historical Society
- Pierce family
- Pierce, Anne Longfellow, 1810-1901--Correspondence
- Pierce, Josiah, 1827-1913--Correspondence
- Pierce, Josiah, 1827-1913--Travel
- Poets' Corner (Westminster Abbey)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.