Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Russell and Lew McFadden drawing up the herring pocket to bring more fish into the dory. The fishermen use a special technique, holding the seine properly and working together (sometime with as many as five or six men in the dory) so the heavy weight can be hauled in.
About This Item
- Title: Herring weir pocket, Lubec, ca. 1935
- Creation Date: circa 1935
- Subject Date: circa 1935
- Town: Lubec
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.4 cm x 26.6 cm
- Local Code: 293 jpg
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fish canneries--Maine--Lubec
- Canned fish industry--Maine--Lubec
- Fishing boats--Maine
- Fishing industry--Equipment and supplies--Maine
- Dories (Boats)--Maine--Lubec
- Fishing nets--Maine--Lubec
- Fishing weirs--Maine--Lubec
- Herring industry--Maine--Lubec
- Atlantic herring fishing--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Lubec Historical Society
135 Main Street, Lubec, ME 04652
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.