Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This Lubec herring weir has been seined, which means a net has been run around the inside of the weir with corks to hold the top floating and lead weights to sink the bottom of the seine. The herring have been captured into a pocket, and the pocket holding the herring is surrounded by three dories and a net boat.
About This Item
- Title: Herring weir seined, Lubec, ca. 1935
- Creation Date: circa 1935
- Subject Date: circa 1935
- Town: Lubec
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.4 cm x 26.6 cm
- Local Code: 291 jpg
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fishing industry--Equipment and supplies--Maine
- Fishing nets--Maine--Lubec
- Dories (Boats)--Maine--Lubec
- Fishing weirs--Maine--Lubec
- Atlantic herring fishing--Maine
- Fishing boats--Maine
- Canned fish industry--Maine--Lubec
- Fish canneries--Maine--Lubec
For more information about this item, contact:Lubec Historical Society
135 Main Street, Lubec, ME 04652
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.