Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Commissioned first lieutenant in the 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry, John Marshall Brown of Portland served under Joshua Chamberlain.
Brown kept leather-bound journals of his experiences, often adding sketches descriptions. This journal begins in December 1862 and continues into early 1863, with information and a several sketches.
At the back of the journal are rosters and other personnel details of the 20th Maine.
About This Item
- Title: John Marshall Brown private notebook, 1862-1863
- Creator: John Marshall Brown
- Creation Date: 1862–1863
- Subject Date: 1862–1863
- Location: USA
- Media: Ink on paper, leather
- Dimensions: 18.3 cm x 11.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2145, Box 6/MS 2
- Collection: John Marshall Brown collection
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Brown, John Marshall, 1838-1907--Diary
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military life
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 20th (1862-1865)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.