Contributed by Fifth Maine Regiment Museum
Lt. John French of Albion, left, and Lt. John Stevens both were in the 5th Maine Regiment in the Civil War. Both enlisted in Lewiston.
Lt. Stevens, a native of Lewiston, kept a diary through the Civil War. It was later published by his descendants.
Both men are aged 23 in this picture; three months after the picture was taken, French was killed at Rappahannock Station.
About This Item
- Title: Lt. John French and Lt. John Stevens, 1863
- Creation Date: 1863-08-12
- Subject Date: 1863-08-12
- Town: Albion, New Baltimore
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME, VA
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Fifth Maine Regiment Museum
45 Seashore Avenue, PO Box 41, Peaks Island, ME 04108
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- French, John--Friends & associates
- Stevens, John--Friends & associates
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864).
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.