Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Anna Margaret Holwell (1805-1887) of Portland is pictured with her five daughters, Harriet (1827-1909), Margaret (1828-1905), Georgiana (1830-1881), Isabelle (1833-1856), and Marion (1835-1924).
Holwell, the daughter of British Major John Z. Holwell, married Nathaniel Deering, a noted attorney, author, editor, composer, and dramatist, in 1824.
The couple had nine children, five of whom were daughters.
About This Item
- Title: Anna Margaret Holwell Deering and daughters, Portland, ca. 1855
- Creation Date: circa 1855
- Subject Date: circa 1855
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Daguerreotype
- Dimensions: 12 cm x 15 cm x 2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2006, Box 1/6
- Collection: Deering family daguerreotype collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Deering family
- Deering, Anna Margaret Holwell, 1805-1887--Portrait photographs
- Deering, Georgiana, 1830-1881--Portrait photographs
- Deering, Harriet H., 1827-1909--Portrait photographs
- Deering, Isabelle, 1833-1856--Portrait photographs
- Deering, Margaret, 1828-1905--Portrait photographs
- Deering, Marion, 1835-1924--Portrait photographs
- Deering, Nathaniel, -Family
- Group portraits
- Mothers and daughters
- Deering, Anna Margaret Holwell
- Deering, Harriet H.
- Deering, Margaret
- Deering, Marion
- Deering , Nathaniel
- Deering, Georgiana
- Kidder, Maryanne
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.