Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Plan of White's Wharf district of Biddeford, showing streets, homes, and other landmarks in the area during the 1840s. Writing on back of plan original to map says "Water St. old plan - Capt. Whites property +c." Includes buildings of York Manufacturing on Cutts or Factory Island in Saco, and the homes immediately along the riverbank on Water Street. A notation on the map from 1938 states: "White's Wharf district - an enlargement and correction of plan marked 184-- Batchelders -- The railway was a marine railway -- D. Yorke 1938." This is the only known record of the railway and rail house. Samuel White, ship master, owned the wharf and the buildings upon it.
About This Item
- Title: White's Wharf and vicinity, Biddeford, ca. 1840
- Creation Date: circa 1880
- Subject Date: circa 1840
- Local Name: Cutts Island, White's Wharf
- Town: Biddeford, Saco
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on coated cotton
- Dimensions: 54 cm x 54 cm
- Local Code: mcamap.0004.3 (was 0013)
- Collection: Special Collections
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Piers & wharves--Maine--Saco
- Piers & wharves--Maine--Biddeford
- Saco (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript
- Biddeford (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript
- Saco River (N.H. and Me.)
- Storer, Samuel
- Chase, S. F.
- Pike, J.
- Pearson , S.
- White, Samuel
- King, Cyrus
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.