Contributed by Bangor Public Library
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at James F. Doughty School. More info about student projects.
A loan from the Beth Israel Synagogue in Bangor for the duration of the Second World War, the "Flying Torah" traveled with Captain Harold H. Gordon, Jewish chaplain for the North Atlantic Division, Air Transport Command, as he made his rounds in 1945.
Here, he shows it to airmen at Dow Field in Bangor.
In a circuit that covered bases as disparate as Reykjavik and Bermuda, Gordon and the Torah soon racked up more than 75,000 miles bringing spiritual comfort to Jewish servicemen throughout the Wing.
About This Item
- Title: Harold Gordon with 'Flying Torah,' Bangor, 1945
- Creator: U.S. Army Signal Section, Dow Field
- Creation Date: 1945
- Subject Date: 1945
- Location: Bangor, Penobscot County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10.5 cm x 13 cm
- Local Code: 974.131.D752a v.1
- Collection: Dow Field Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States. Air Force--Airmen
- Beth Israel Synagogue (Bangor, Me.)
- Military chaplains
- Jews--United States
- Torah scrolls
- World War, 1939-1945--Chaplains
- World War, 1939-1945--Religious aspects
- World War, 1939-1945--Participation, Jewish
- United States. Air Force--Chaplains
- Dow Air Force Base (Me.)
- United States. Air Force. Air Transport Command
- World War, 1939-1945--Social aspects
- World War, 1939-1945--African Americans
- United States. Air Force--African Americans
For more information about this item, contact:Bangor Public Library
145 Harlow Street, Bangor, ME 04401
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.