Contributed by Jacob B. Pike through Lubec Landmarks
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
In the Pickling Shed, workers carried out the second step in the smokehouse process: putting herring on sticks through their gills. The photographer used a strobe light to capture the swift arm motion of one of the “stringers.”
About This Item
- Title: Stringing herring at McCurdy's Smokehouse, Lubec, ca. 1964
- Creator: Pike, Jacob B.
- Creation Date: circa 1964
- Subject Date: circa 1964
- Town: Lubec
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: LL 007.P1
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Herring industry--Maine--Lubec
- J.P. McCurdy's smokehouse
- Canned fish industry--Maine--Lubec
- Smoked fish--Maine--Lubec
- Fish canneries--Maine--Lubec
For more information about this item, contact:Lubec Landmarks
, Lubec, ME
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.