Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Lydia Swan was born September 4, 1834 in Smithfield, Rhode Island to William and Eliza Paine Swan. She married Robert McArthur on May 18, 1861. The McArthurs moved all over southern New England and New Jersey while Robert worked his way up in textile mills. They moved to Biddeford in 1887, when he took the position of agent for the Laconia and Pepperell Mills. Lydia McArthur had four children: George, Walter, Lena, and Jane; the whole family undertook works of philanthropy in the city and were members of the Unitarian Church. This photograph may have been a wedding portrait, as it was taken in 1861.
About This Item
- Title: Lydia Swan McArthur, wife of Robert McArthur, 1861
- Creator: Robertson, 91 Westminster Street, Providence, R.I.
- Creation Date: 1861
- Subject Date: 1861
- Springfield, Hampden County, MA
- Biddeford, York County, ME
- Providence, Providence County, RI
- Media: Carte de visite
- Dimensions: 9.5 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: DC XXXIV Lena McArthur Papers
- Collection: Archival Collections
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Laconia Company
- McArthur, Robert--Family
- Textile industry--Maine--Biddeford
- Pepperell Manufacturing Company
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.