Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Scarborough Middle School.
This airport was a project of the Greater Portland Chamber of Commerce. It was the first municipal airport in the area. The airport became obsolete within ten years when larger planes required longer runways to take off and land on.
Charles Lindberg and his wife Anne Morrow were among the well known personalities to land here. Amelia Earhart and Amy Mollison also flew in here.
About This Item
- Title: Aerial View of Portland Airport in Scarborough, ca. 1927
- Creation Date: circa 1927
- Subject Date: circa 1927
- Town: Scarborough
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.3 cm x 25.4 cm
- Collection: Transportation Airplanes
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Aerial photographs
- Aerial views--Maine--Scarborough
- Air pilots--Maine--Scarborough
- Lindbergh, Charles A. (Charles Augustus), 1902-1974--Travel
- Lindbergh, Anne Morrow, 1906-2001--Travel
- Mollison, Amy--Travel
- Earhart, Amelia, 1897-1937--Travel
- Women air pilots--Maine--Scarborough
For more information about this item, contact:Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
PO Box 156, Scarborough, ME 04070-0156
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.