Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
View of railway leading to the Douglass Copper mine shaft where several workers stand in the entrance. Other buildings, perhaps containing ore crushing equipment and a smelter that produced ingots of pure copper, are in the background. Copper was found along Mines Road in western Blue Hill in 1876. Because of the quality of the ore and the prospect of shipping it out easily from the harbor (perhaps not in winter) a major mining boom ensued. Speculation ran rampant, fueled by visiting experts. By 1881, the companies began to fail because of an unstable market and management issues.
About This Item
- Title: Douglass Copper Mine, Blue Hill, ca. 1880
- Creation Date: circa 1880
- Subject Date: circa 1880
- Town: Blue Hill
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13.4 cm x 11.2 cm x - cm
- Local Code: HH PH 0535
- Collection: 9999 Business, Mining
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Blue Hill Historical Society
PO Box 710, 3 Water Street, Blue Hill, ME 04614
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Copper industry--Equipment & supplies
- Copper miners--Maine--Blue Hill
- Copper mining--Maine--Blue Hill
- Copper industry--Maine--Blue Hill
- Laborers--Maine--Blue Hill
- Douglass Copper Mine (Blue Hill, Me.)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.