Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
At the Blue Hill Agricultural Fair three dozen yokes of oxen stand in lines in a field in the central village. Handlers and accompanying boys stand with their hats in their hands. Oxen-pulling was the main event, taking place in Main Street in front of the post office, on Pleasant Street and in Tucker's Field. At the end of the day of good-natured competition there was an oxen parade; one time there were fifty-seven yokes in line.
About This Item
- Title: Blue Hill Agricultural Fair, ca. 1875
- Creation Date: circa 1875
- Subject Date: circa 1875
- Town: Blue Hill
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10.9 cm x 20.2 cm x 0.1 cm
- Local Code: HH PH 0311
- Collection: 9999 Blue Hill Fair
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Blue Hill Historical Society
PO Box 710, 3 Water Street, Blue Hill, ME 04614
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Animal teams--Maine--Blue Hill
- Pulling--Maine--Blue Hill
- Ox teams--Maine--Blue Hill
- Agricultural exhibitions--Maine--Blue Hill
- Blue Hill Fair (Blue Hill, Me.)
- Fairs--Maine--Blue Hill
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.