Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Roman Catholic Bishop of Portland James A. Healy, who served in that post from 1875-1900.
Healy was the first African-American Catholic bishop in the United States. His father was a native of Ireland and his mother had both black and white ancestry.
Healy was known as the Children's Bishop for his work with children and widows.
About This Item
- Title: James A. Healy, Portland, ca. 1885
- Creator: Lamson, Portland
- Creation Date: circa 1885
- Subject Date: circa 1885
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Print from glass negative; photograph
- Local Code: Photographs--People--Healy
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- African American clergy--Maine
- Catholic Church--Bishops
- Healy, James Augustine, 1830-1900--Portrait photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.