Contributed by Biddeford Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The service tea set was used at meetings of local women who enjoyed a cup of tea or coffee when they met to discuss club affairs. Each woman had her own cup, which she took to the meeting.
This cup is marked "Winnertons, Staffordshire, England, Silverdale." It is not known which member was the owner of this cup.
The Thursday Club was organized January 4, 1894 by a group of middle-class women in Biddeford interested in social and intellectual improvement. The club always had some kind of intellectual component, except for the first meeting in October which was strictly "social."
About This Item
- Title: Thursday Club tea cup, Biddeford, ca. 1900
- Creator: Winnertons, Staffordshire
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Town: Biddeford
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: China
- Dimensions: 7 cm x 8.5 cm x 8.5 cm
- Local Code: Thursday Club tea cups
- Collection: Thursday Club Collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Biddeford Historical Society
P.O. Box 200, Biddeford, ME 04005
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Thursday Club (Biddeford, Me.)
- Women--Societies and clubs--Maine--Biddeford
- Tea parties--Maine--Biddeford
- Drinking vessels--Maine--Biddeford
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.