Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Jeremiah Powell (ca. 1714-1769) of North Yarmouth, a landowner, businessman, Justice of the Peace, and representative to the Massachusetts General Court, drew a pencil map of the forts on the coast of Maine from the Saco River to the Kennebec River.
The text on the map lists the following military personnel and the forts at which they were stationed: "Col. Westbrook Compa., Majr. Moodey, and Cpt. Shipley, and Cpt. Richmond 20 men, all at Falmouth; Cpt. Penhallow, Cpt. Temple at Arrowsick; Cpt. Barker at No. Yarmouth; Cpt. Harmon at Small Pt.; Cpt. Heath at Richmond; Cpt. Ward at Saco, Lt. Hilton 30 Men at Scarboro; and Coll. Wheelwright 100 at Wells &c."
About This Item
- Title: Map of coastal Maine forts, 1723
- Creator: Powell, Jeremiah
- Creation Date: 1723
- Subject Date: 1723
- State: ME
- Media: Pencil on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 7, Box 1/1
- Collection: Jeremiah Powell papers
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fortification--Maine--Maps, Manuscript--Early work to 1800
- Forts & fortifications--Maine
- Maine--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Maine--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Powell, Jeremiah, 1714-1789
- United States--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Westbrook, Thomas, d. 1744
- Westbrook, Thomas
- Moodey, Samuel
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.