Mary King Longfellow of Portland, daughter of Alexander Longfellow, dressed as Nelly Custis, granddaughter of Martha Washington.
Her cousin Alice Mary Longfellow (1850-1928), daughter of Henry W. Longfellow, probably took the photograph. The cousins frequently held costume parties.
About This Item
- Title: Mary King Longfellow as Nelly Custis, Cambridge, ca. 1879
- Creator: Alice Mary Longfellow
- Creation Date: circa 1876
- Subject Date: circa 1876
- Location: Cambridge, Middlesex County, MA
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: Long 35791
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Longfellow, Mary King, 1852-1945--Performances
- Custis, Eleanor Park, 1897-1983--Portrayals
- Longfellow family
For more information about this item, contact:NPS, Longfellow House-Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site
105 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.