Contributed by Maine State Museum
Mrs. Josephine Diebitsch Peary, wife of Arctic explorer Rear Admiral Robert E. Peary. In 1891 Josephine accompanied her husband on the first of several trips to Greenland. Two years later she published "My Arctic Journal", documenting her experiences in Greenland.
On her fiftieth birthday in 1913, Peary gave his wife an exquisite necklace of Maine tourmaline and gold as a token of his affection for her. Mrs. Peary is wearing the necklace in this image.
About This Item
- Title: Josephine Peary, ca. 1913
- Creation Date: circa 1913
- Subject Date: circa 1913
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: 64.4.6
- Collection: Peary Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Peary, Josephine--Portrait photographs
- Peary, Josephine--Associated objects
- Peary, Robert Edwin, 1856-1920--Family
- Arctic Regions--Discovery and exploration
- North Pole--Discovery and exploration
- Women authors
- Admiral Peary
- Josephine Diebitsch Peary
- Mrs. Peary
- Robert E. Peary
For more information about this item, contact:Maine State Museum
Maine State Museum, 83 state house station, Augusta, ME 04333
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.