Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Kate Douglas Wiggin started the Hollis and Buxton chapter of the Dorcas Society to raise monies for various charitable works.
Newspapers estimate the number of people attending this 1912 fair as 1,500. Country dances were featured that year which explains the farm hats and overalls of the men in the center.
This fair continues to this day.
About This Item
- Title: Dorcas Society Fair, Buxton, 1912
- Creator: Moody, Charles E.
- Creation Date: circa 1912
- Subject Date: circa 1912
- Town: Buxton, Hollis
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.6 cm x 17.2 cm
- Local Code: mca990
- Collection: Charles E. Moody Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Wiggin, Kate Douglas Smith, 1856-1923
- Dorcas Society (Hollis, Me.)
- Men--Clothing & dress--1910-1920--Maine
- Women--Clothing & dress--1910-1920--Maine
- Dorcas Society (Buxton, Me.)
- Community services--Maine--Hollis
- Community services--Maine--Buxton
- Charitable organizations--Maine--Hollis
- Charitable organizations--Maine--Buxton
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.