A small watercolor painting by Thomaston artist, Margaret S. McCrea, depicting the town of Thomaston, as seen from the Georges River. The view is from just south of The Beacon, a fixed aid to navigation. In June of 1834, Congress appropriated $3,000 "for the erection of a beacon on the end of a shoal in the Georges River, round which is formed what is called the Great Bend." However, it was not until 1839 that it was built by Captain L. Andrews of Warren. A tidal current scours a deep water channel, but a mud shoal to this day extends from the western side (the left side of the image) of the river bend to this unyielding granite marker.