Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Founded in 1891, the Columbian Canning Company became one of the largest smoked herring plants in the world. It was bought by Booth Fisheries in 1963 and processed salt fish. Note soldering irons held by some of the workers.
About This Item
- Title: Columbian Canning Company Smokehouse Employees, Lubec, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Town: Lubec
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 19.7 cm x 24.4 cm
- Local Code: Lubec Historical Society
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Lubec Historical Society
135 Main Street, Lubec, ME 04652
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Child laborers--Maine--Lubec
- Fish canneries--Maine--Lubec
- Group portraits
- Herring industry--Maine--Lubec
- Canned fish industry--Maine--Lubec
- Child labor--Maine--Lubec
- Smoked fish--Maine--Lubec
- Atlantic herring fisheries--Maine
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.