Contributed by Presque Isle Historical Society
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student. More info about student projects.
In 1959 a tree from Presque Isle was selected to become the National Community Christmas tree for the Christmas Pageant of Peace in Washington, D.C.
Local committee members were, from left to right, Arthur Bennett, committeeman; Vaugn Cole; John Dow, Project Chairmen; Frank Hayes, committeeman; Fred Beck, attorney and committeeman; Norman Aubin, committeeman; Gus Nadeau, Bangor and Aroostook Railroad.
The tree was from the farm of Alice Kimball, Parson Road.
The sign reads, "President Eisenhower, The Nation's Christmas Tree, Prepared by: Maine Public Service, Lloyd N. White, Inc, Cole express. Shipped by: BAR, MEC, BM, DH, PENN Railroads. Presented by the Presque Isle, Maine Chamber of Commerce."
BAR is the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad.
BM is the Boston and Maine Railroad.
DH - Delaware and Hudson
PENN is the Pennsylvania Railroad
About This Item
- Title: National Community Christmas tree Presque Isle Committee, 1959
- Creator: Presque Isle Area Chamber of Commerce
- Creation Date: 1959
- Subject Date: 1959
- Location: Presque Isle, Aroostook County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 7 cm x 9 cm
- Local Code: PI21243
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Tree felling--Maine--Presque Isle
- Christmas trees--Maine--Presque Isle
- Christmas trees--Washington, D.C.
- Bangor and Aroostook Railroad Company
- Christmas decorations
- White spruce
- Committees--Maine-Presque Isle
- Construction equipment
- Community service--Maine--Presque Isle
- Boston and Maine
- Christmas Pageant of Peace
- Delaware and Hudson
- National Community Christmas tree
- Pennsylvania Railroad
For more information about this item, contact:Presque Isle Historical Society
PO Box 285, Presque Isle, ME 04769
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.