Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Engraving of Benjamin Church (1639-1718). Church was a colonial soldier in King Philip's War and took a leading role in the Great Swamp Fight of Dec. 1675.
Church's military company was responsible for hunting down and killing Matacomet (King Phillip) in August 1676.
About This Item
- Title: Benjamin Church, ca. 1675
- Creation Date: 1881
- Subject Date: circa 1675
- Town: Mount Hope
- State: CT, RI
- Media: Engraving, ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 420; MS00-20.0336E
- Collection: John S. H. Fogg autograph collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Church, Benjamin, 1639-1718--Portraits
- Great Swamp Fight, Southport, Conn., 1637
- Indians of North America
- King Philip's War, 1675-1676
- Philip, Sachem of the Wamponoags, d. 1676
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.