Contributed by Penobscot Marine Museum
The Merrill & Denning drug store at the right, on the corner of Main and Elm streets, opened in 1893, the same year the town of Mechanic Falls incorporated.
To the left are two brick commercial blocks from the 1870s, both of which remain. The wooden building with the car parked in front gave the area the name of Post Office Square.
Central Garage, which sold and serviced automobiles, was in business from 1920 to 1930.
About This Item
- Title: Main Street, Mechanic Falls, ca. 1925
- Creator: Eastern Illustrating and Publishing Co., Belfast
- Creation Date: circa 1925
- Subject Date: circa 1925
- Town: Mechanic Falls
- County: Androscoggin
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Main Street (Mechanic Falls, Me.)
- Streets--Maine--Mechanic Falls
- Stores & shops--Maine--Mechanic Falls
- Drugstores--Maine--Mechanic Falls
- Automobile service stations--Maine--Mechanic Falls
- Vehicle maintenance & repair--Maine--Mechanic Falls
For more information about this item, contact:Penobscot Marine Museum
PO Box 498, 5 Church Street, Searsport, ME 04974
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.