Contributed by New Gloucester Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Yarmouth Hall, built in 1921, was a dormitory for girls. It was called Dirigo Hall when it was built, but the name was changed in 1929 when the new superintendent's house was named Dirigo.
A survey of Pownal State School facilities and staff in about 1953 noted that Yarmouth had 144 residents, oen supervisor, one assistant and 15 attendants, but needed another assistant and two more attendants.
About This Item
- Title: Yarmouth Hall, Pownal State School, ca. 1953
- Creation Date: circa 1953
- Subject Date: circa 1953
- Town: New Gloucester
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photograph, ink on paper
- Dimensions: 17.5 cm x 23 cm
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Hospitals--Maine--New Gloucester
- Pineland Farms, Inc. (New Gloucester, Me.)--History
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Mental institutions--Maine--New Gloucester
- Maine School for the Feeble-Minded (1908-1925)
- Pineland Center (1973-1996)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (1957-1973)
- Pownal State School (1925-1957)
For more information about this item, contact:New Gloucester Historical Society
PO Box 531, New Gloucester, ME 04260
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.