Contributed by New Gloucester Historical Society
A sign announces the new name of the Pineland Hospital and Training Center in New Gloucester, formerly the Pownal State School.
When the facility was opened in 1908, it was called the Maine School for the Feeble-Minded.
Superintendent Peter Bowman oversaw many changes at the school, including the name change and releasing more residents to live and work outside the hospital.
About This Item
- Title: Sign, Pineland Hospital, New Gloucester, ca. 1957
- Creation Date: circa 1957
- Subject Date: circa 1957
- Town: New Gloucester
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Hospitals--Maine--New Gloucester
- Pineland Farms, Inc. (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Mental institutions--Maine--New Gloucester
- Maine School for the Feeble-Minded (1908-1925)
- Pineland Center (1973-1996)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (1957-1973)
- Pownal State School (1925-1957)
For more information about this item, contact:New Gloucester Historical Society
PO Box 531, New Gloucester, ME 04260
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.