Contributed by New Gloucester Historical Society
Three nurses in front of Hedin Hospital at Pownal State School in about 1937.
In the middle is Myrtle Daly (later Myrtle Strout).
By the late 1930s, the school for the developmentally disabled had more than 1,000 residents and 200 staff members.
The hospital on the New Gloucester campus opened in 1931.
About This Item
- Title: Nurses, Pownal State School, ca. 1937
- Creation Date: circa 1937
- Subject Date: circa 1937
- Location: New Gloucester, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Hospitals--Maine--New Gloucester
- Pineland Farms, Inc. (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Mental institutions--Maine--New Gloucester
- Maine School for the Feeble-Minded (1908-1925)
- Pineland Center (1973-1996)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (1957-1973)
- Pownal State School (1925-1957)
For more information about this item, contact:New Gloucester Historical Society
PO Box 531, New Gloucester, ME 04260
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.