Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The aerial color footage shows Portland Harbor, the Diamond Islands, Portland waterfront, Back Cove, Spring Point Light, and the Coast Guard Station in South Portland, the electric plant and Knightville and the South Portland-Portland bridge.
Other areas shown are Monument Square, Portland waterfront, courthouses, city hall, the Eastern Prom, the rose garden in Deering Oaks Park, Park Avenue, the new post office, the U.S. Marine hospital in East Deering, Baxter Boulevard, Payson Park, Forest Avenue, Mackworth Island, Riverside Golf Course, and Warren Avenue with two AM radio towers.
The film was taken ca. 1940 by the Portland Engraving Company for the city of Portland.
About This Item
- Title: Film of Portland from the air, ca. 1940
- Creator: Portland Public Works
- Creation Date: circa 1940
- Subject Date: circa 1940
- Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- South Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: filmstrip, 16mm
- Local Code: Coll. 4006, Reel 1
- Collection: City of Portland, Maine film collection
- Object Type: Moving Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Casco Bay (Me.)
- Portland (Me.)--Aerial photographs
- Portland (Me.)--Views
- Portland Harbor (Me.)
- South Portland (Me.)--Aerial photographs
- South Portland (Me.)--Views
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.