Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Richard Turcotte of Lewiston was committed to the Pownal State School for people with developmental disabilities in 1925 after his father died. His mother had died eight years earlier.
Turcotte, who was 11 at the time, lived at the facility in New Gloucester until the 1950s when he was in his 40s. He then returned to Lewiston and worked for a number of years at Central Maine Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital.
This photo shows him in front of the hospital building at Pownal State School.
About This Item
- Title: Richard J. Turcotte, Pownal State School, ca. 1945
- Creation Date: circa 1945
- Subject Date: circa 1945
- Town: New Gloucester
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 9.3 cm x 7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2339, Box 1
- Collection: Richard Turcotte collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- People with mental disabilities
- Pineland Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Farms, Inc. (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Psychiatric hospitals--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.